November 14, 2009

Making cover for British MK-6 helmet

Hard at work here and like may handy works I have embarked on before, this one is very much driven by the lack of supplies in the market and when it is available, it require an arm or a leg from me. Why subject myself to paying unreasonable amount of money for an item if it is something I can make out of myself? In this tutorial, I am using only Dragon Models (aka DML) British MK6 helmet. Noticed it is a little bigger and rounder than the HT ones which also kinda having an oval shape. However, I feel that DML's shape is more true to the actual MK6 helmet. Another reason for using it is because the basic shell, without the cover, is more easily available as it came with DML British weapon set of which I have 3 sets. Without further ado. STEP 1 - Sourcing for helmet cover material It is not easy locating camouflage material of 1:6 print and the quickest way to do it is to un-thread a cloth part (ie uniform, backpack etc). And that is exactly what I have done with a pair of 21st Century's (aka Ultimate Soldier) SAS Scud hunter's pants. Obvious choice over HT or even a DML pair of pants. The print were accurate though I do not quite like the cloth material used. Nevertheless.... Un-threading a pair of pants gave you 4 parts worth of cloth. Each part is enough to make 1 helmet cover. Hence essentially, you can make 4 helmets with a single pants. Not too bad... Now I feel that it is more worth it to cut up a pair of HT's pants rather. Oh well... perhaps next time. Onwards!... STEP 2 - Cut out the shape and sew it together. My work is made easier as some time back, I have made helmet covers for a US M1 helmet when I did a Grenada kitbash. The paper pattern was kept in my "book of custom" and I simply take that out again for this one. The shape of both helmet being quite similar, I reckon the paper pattern should suit the MK-6 as well. Both pieces were sew around the curved circumference from the back. Flip the cover over and the picture shows the finished product. STEP 3 - mount cover onto helmet. The moment of truth. 1. First thing to do, remove all the hinges and chin straps from the raw MK6 helmet. 2. Mount the sewed cover over the helmet. 3. Align the sewed line to the middle of the helmet front and back. 4. Apply glue (generously) to the inside of the helmet front and back. 5. Fold in the excess cloth overlapping the realm of the helmet on the front and pressed onto glue. Pull taut the back and do the likewise. Now the helmet cover is aligned to the center. 6. Apply glue on the inside left and right sides of the helmet. Repeat "5" but instead of pulling the front and back, pull the left and right side . And the glue I used these days. Cheap and most importantly, it works. Bye bye loctite "designer" glue. STEP 4 - Adding details Not sure what those straps are for - foilage for camouflage maybe - most of the squaddies had those on the helmet. I reckon those are standard issue from the British Army. No harm adding those details to "hide" some imperfection on the cover work. You will need 3mm width desert color nylon straps. I'd prefer lighter beige but I do not have any. So desert yellow will do for now. A buddy of mind get these for me while traveling in Hong Kong sometime back. You never know when you need something when you need it. So I am glad I had these in hand now. Putting on the straps is easy work. But make sure you remember to use a lighter to slightly burn the cut edge to prevent lose treading that can ruin your straps. Done! Sure does hide away those unsightly seams does it? =) STEP 5 - Trial fitting. We don't display a helmet by itself do we? It is meant to be on a 1:6 head and so it is crucial to do a trial fitting. Looks ok isn't it? On to the final step. STEP 6 - Applying chin straps. Took the easy way out by using back the helmet's original strap that came with the shell. Simply glue the hinges back to its original position and strap it up as shown. With a body and his gear, the trooper is ready for his petrol :D

No comments: