December 1, 2012

Kre-O Transformers 31771, Autobots Sideswipe


Sideswipe has a very attractive packaging artwork showing it in a running stance. And this Autobot has a special place in my heart as I was smitten with it's Binaltech version I saw at a shop's display that trigger my collection of Binaltech Transformers toys.
I hold off buying this Kre-O version for 2 specific reasons.
1 - MSRP at S$49.9 seems a bit high for a 220 pcs Lego knock offs.
2 - It has a funky calf to feet design.
Finally won an open bid at eBay from a UK seller for £5.6 + £6.49 shipment which after paying via paypal's exorbitant exchange rates, I paid approximately S$25 for the set. Not too bad for a price you can only get Mirage or Jazz with.

There wasn't a lot of parts left after the build except for a few plates parts. Utilizes every other smaller parts to incorporate into the model. First thing I did was to correct the funky legs design and "straighten" it. Looks much better. Sideswipe is a fantastically good looking model and I'm very please with the outcome. So much so that I got another Sideswipe from the same eBay seller. Not really to build a clone but more for spare parts to beef up this one version.

So far, this is the only Kre-O bot that has a proper "hand held" weapon / blaster. Building instructions does not indicate a barrel build and it was added on with the spares.
Sideswipe is actually top heavy thus posing it is a real challenge. Legs keep splitting out in a spread out stance. A few try are necessary.

Sideswipe is an aesthetically pleasant looking robot and the primary red gave another dimension to my existing collection. However, the helmet of the robot should be black instead of red. Kre-O made it right on the Kreon but fumble on the bot, strange.
I may paint it black probably but that'll be another day's work.

No comments: