December 30, 2009

Goggles Goggles and more Goggles!

I noticed recently when doing kitbashes that my stash of goggles I thought I had wasn't there anymore. The new kitbash comes to an abrupt halt. Getting online wasn't cheap after factoring the shipment charges. So I settled with mostly stuffs that nobody wanted here ie Very Hot Toys (VHT) goggles and a couple of "funny green frame" Soldier Stories ones. bagged 6 at a go for $5 bucks each at CSC. Not exactly a price I think justified for the VHT's version but still cheaper than getting some online.
The 2 at the back middle and right were repainted VHT goggles.

Repainting them is something that must be done before putting them on a bash. So here is a before and after of a VHT's sample.

No different? LOL!! Perhaps the picture is not doing the repaint justice. Well, those who own the VHT goggles knows how it looks.

Sadly, the flat clear sealant used kind of oxidize and left a blurry white coat on the lens... I tried cleaning those out with mild acetone but it couldn't totally remove the oxidization. But that can do for now. Now I wonder if it is worth all these effort vs paying a couple bucks more each to avoid the hassle. But then, I think reworking parts is part n parcel that give this hobby greater fun. 2 down, 4 more to go ....

No comments: