March 4, 2011

Kitbash - British Marine in Helmand Province, Afghanistan


Here I have kitbashed a British Marine Squadie hoping to represent those that served in the said place in 2007. The inspiration for the bash came from the excellent British Sky One documentary Ross Kemp in Afghanistan (2008) and Ross Kemp Return to Afghanistan (2009). Though Ross Kemp attached himself to the Royal Anglians instead of the Marines but during the process of kitbashing, the unit wasn't on my mind. I'm just too busy looking for the appropriate parts for building this guy. We all know how hard some good modern British gear comes by in 1:6 scale. Thanks to cottage manufacturer like Barrack Sergeant, I am able to gather some main gear in its BDU and the Osprey vest.
I know it is always hard to give a soldier 100% accurate gear but I try my best. Quickly I run down the main gear and it's brand for this kitbash :

Body & Headsculpt : Hot Toys
Osprey Vest : Hot Toys
BDU Blouse : Dragon
BDU Pants : Hot Toys
Boots (Beets) : Hot Toys
Knee Pads : Dragon (Repainted)
Waist Pouches : Dragon (Weathered)
Riffle : Dragon
CamelBak : Barrack Sergeant
Comms : Dragon (wire and boom mic replaced)
Helmet : Dragon with DIY cover and cover straps.
Goggle : Very Hot (repainted)

Actually, I wasn't ready to put this up on the Blog as there are always things I want to do with it and it is never finish or getting my full approval. But what the heck.
This Blog is recently dominated by 3A Ashley Wood stuffs that I badly need to add a little bit of variety before it become a pseudo 3A blog LOL!!
That said, more touch ups will still definitely be on the cards for this one but it will be a slow and steady one. For one, I would like to swap a pair of cloth boots and to give him a pair of ballistic glasses. Don't have these gears readily so need to buy. Money is an issue now so I'll take it a step at a time.
He is not alone. There are another 2 buddies of his done up but I am not happy with the body and the headsculpt. Want to find appropriate ones and swap the gear over before posting it up here. Till then.

One more final picture.
 Next update will most likely be 3A Ashley Wood's Fighting JC which is said to be shipping next week. Can't wait!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

This is very impressive. Would love to know which Hot Toys, Dragon and other sets you used. I'm trying to recreate something similar in 1/6 scale for Action Man.