December 12, 2009

DML British Bowman Comm Set detail reworking

I am in the process of collecting some modern British gear to hopefully make a squad of British infantry soldiers fighting in Afghanistan now. And it is never easy getting the right gear since they are not released as much as the American stuffs. Nevertheless, it makes getting the wanted gear double the fun. To stay informed and be able to inform during the heat of the battle is essential to getting the right resources at the right place in the right time is an important element for victory. Hence in the modern battlefield, a soldier need the communication tool to do just that. Not many choices in the 1:6 world for me to chose from. HT ones will be too expensive for comfort. DML ones could be scarce since they kinda given up on modern releases like years ago. Tried my hands to scratch build one but it took too long to do and the detail not to par. Then I chanced upon fellow OSWers putting these up for trade and I acted quickly. DML Brit comms got all the detail down and I think they are more than good enough for my consumption. However, I find that the "cables" used are too thick and render the comm rigid after gearing up on a troop. The mic piece are having no (or little) ductility that it doesn't manage to have the mouthpiece bend to the soldier's mouth area. I knew something need to be done to these. The comm set at it's original state : After swapping thinner cable and a carbon quoted 1.2mm wire for the mouthpiece replacement : The cable used is very flexible and only measured approx 0.75mm. A side by side comparison for the rework : One on the left is the reworked piece while the other is original. Just a small simple reworking but is essential enough to warrant a need to do.

No comments: