January 9, 2015

My 2014 TOP 5 Collectibles & Collecting Summary of the Year

YEAR 2014 TOP 5 COLLECTIBLES
Number 5

*Picture taken from blackplasticlife.blogspot. My set were displayed in such a way that it is not possible to take out for photography without knocking down a whole platoon of it's buddies :p
Product Name : Feral Rex
Brand & Series : Mastermind Creations (MMC) / Reformatted series
Date Bought (complete) : 12 September 2014 (Tigris)
It took about 11 months to complete all 5 robot members (Bovis, Fortis, Leo Dux, Talon and Tigris) to form Feral Rex. We all know for sure this is actually Transformers Predaking but without official license hence the alternate name. I have always played with the idea of owning at least one Gestalt Transformers - even though I am not really a serious Transformers toys collector. Few others were considered and it comes down to Maketoys Green Giant (aka Devastator), TFC Project Ares (Predaking) and MMC Feral Rex (Predaking). You know the outcome.
It is a wish came true when all 5 members combined. Brought back childhood memories from watching cartoon of combining robots (not specifically Transformers) and the awesomeness it exudes. And it is because of this, Feral Rex breaks into the top 5.

Number 4

Product Name : Gundam RX-78-2 Ver 3.0
Brand & Series : Bandai 1/100 MG (Master Grade)
Date Bought : 30 Mar 2014
I have always wanted to build a 1/100 scale Gundam RX-78. Bought a 1/100 RX-78 Ver KA some years back but it just sits in my storage and never come around building it. Until I chance upon an article in Toy People News that my interest got rekindle.
This is really an amazing kit. Not a drip of paint was used because each panel were molded to it's original color based on the 1:1 RX-78 at Japan, Tokyo, Shiokaze Park (お台場 潮風公園). I just build direct from the box and panel lined it with a 0.05 tip marker bought from Popular bookstore. All required decals were applied according to the building instructions.
Articulations are abound and there are countless posing opportunities. However, due to the details, parts seems to fall off liberally during posing. However, it is an awesome piece by just displaying it standing in relax pose.
Great looking kit and impressive as a complete model. The grandpa of Gundam design jump into action at No.4.

Number 3

Product Name : Snowtrooper
Brand & Series : Sideshow Toys 1/6 scale / Militaries of Star Wars
Date Bought : 30 Nov 2014
The Empire Strikes Back is my favorite of the 3 Original Trilogy. The Snowtroopers, lead by Darth Vader himself, were dispatch to storm Rebel's Hoth base on the planet Hoth. Sideshow released this Snowtrooper in Apr 2013 but I only gotten around getting it now.
Special commendation on the highly gloss helmet, shoulder pad and body armor and still subtle weathering were applied masterfully. Weathering Not too much, not too little, at the right places, with the right color and fully believable.
This is the best and most detailed 1/6 representation of an Imperial Snowtrooper any company has ever done and I'm very glad to still be able to buy it at retail price. The Snowtrooper stormed in this year and end up in the No.3 spot!

Number 2

Product Name : Tusken Raider
Brand & Series : Sideshow Toys 1/6 scale / Scums & Villiany
Date Bought : 30 Dec 2014
For start, a 1/6 scale Tusken Raider is very special to me. Sideshow does a tremendous job in recreating the desert nomads. The entirely molded head were painted in such details that the bandage look believable as real cloth material. Material and color chosen for the garb also represent the movie prop closely. It impresses me beyond what I thought it could.
Bought on the last days of the year and it came in at No.2 .... Oscar's effect? LOL! But a real worthy piece for sure.

Number 1

Product Name : Legio II Adiutrix - Artorius Lucius Castus
Brand & Series : Kaustic Plastik 1/6 Scale / ROMAN CENTURION - Marcomannic Wars - Leugaricio - Slovakia - Circa 178-179 A.D.
Date Bought : 01 Jan 2014
Roman, romantic! Ancient soldier has their charm for sure. All the raw guts, energy, sword wielding, hand to hand combat, chop and slash. Old skool combat! And in order to have some form of protection from the blades, metallic garb were manufactured in a form of chainmail, helmet, arm and shin guards. Decorations to the otherwise boring metal work and everything comes together revealing a very good looking soldier.
Kaustic Plastik produce the best out of the box Roman Centurion till date. It replicated the rustic nature of the metal work and the gear while not overdoing it. Very impressive piece and I am so glad to be a proud owner of 1.
Bought this on the first day of the year and it stood the sands of time. Like the all conquering Roman Empire, it's Centurion did not disappoint and he "ROMA-VICTOR!!" his way into the top spot.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

YEAR 2014 COLLECTING SUMMARY ROUND UP
2014 started very strongly with my procuring of KP's Roman Centurion on the first day of the year. It was brand new and sold at a very reasonable price. Can't really let it go without doing anything. However, the strong start doesn't carry through to the rest of the year.

This year, I have also finally pluck up the courage to build a Gundam Kit (Gunpla) again. Something I have left off about 15 years ago. Picked up a $10 1/144 HG Gundam AGE kit, in mid Jan, and thought to just build it for fun. No painting, no gap filling. Next I knew, I was awestruck by the "new technology" in Gunpla design. 1/144 is small but it has all the details and articulations are fantastic. I thought these kits trumps Bandai's Robot Spirits Gundam in terms of color, material and details, and costing just a fraction of it. Soon I was going after the 1/100 MG kit as I went serious for a little while. 1/100 is always my default acceptance scale for Gundam kit. After building 5 MGs and 1 NGs, I lost steam. Still have 2 NGs (Gundam 00 Cherudim and Avalanche Axia) and 1 MG (Exia 7 Swords) minty mint in their box. Also a 90% build MG Astray Blue Frame hanging in the limbo. Don't think it is about losing interest but more about needing a design that I can relate to and I'm pretty sure the fire will be ignite again. It never happen again in the year and after May, no more new Gunpla purchase.

3A toys is still the mainstay and focus of my current collections. But 2014 is not a good 3A year for me. Only 10 items interests me enough to head over to Paypal. Few factors for me - (1) Design has gone stale (2) Senseless pricing at times causes me to drop the original idea of procuring the toy (3) Not having the colorway I collected (specifically for WWR). I'm not optimistic that 3A can still earn a 10 figures worth of money from me. To compound the 3A woe... none of their product enters my Top 5. I look forward to 2015.

Lego is enjoying a pretty good year in 2014. Bought 2 large sets in 75020 Jabba's Sail Barge (Feb) and 75054 AT-AT (Dec). A good pastime during toy window shopping time are to stand at a spot "feeling" though packs and packs of Minifigs. The Simpsons, Lego Movie, Minifig series 12... oh what fun and thrill when you felt out something you wanted. 
Shell Petrol's 2014 Lego promotion also had me looking through calendars and keeping tabs on my petrol top ups just so to coincide with the new Lego Ferrari model for sale. Didn't manage to form a set but that was not my intention anyway. Just wanted the 4 sports car models that's all. Wanted the Shell Petrol truck but that one need to pump V-Power... I no so rich to use atas petrol.
Taobao (淘宝)become one of my avenue to get "Lego" toys. China has in abundance "cheong" Lego and very cheap. Gotten some models of WWII German tanks. Not as detailed as Brickmania's stuffs but many many folds cheaper. Just for fun.

With the rounding up of this year's collecting activities, I have also realize that my toyroom has kinda run out of space. No more space for box storage though there are still space for about 6 - 8 1/6 scale figures inside my display. I'm not trying to be boastful but it is not about the money now, it is about space. It will be a painful 2015 for me for sure.
Just also realize that in 2013 roundup, I also wrote that my storage space is "absolutely full". So funny. Looks like I manage it pretty well this year to not have it overflowed :)
Forecast for 2015? I guess my Star Wars collection will be resurrected. End of 2014 shows good signs of it (see No.3 and No.2 entry). I have not pre-order Sideshow Han Hoth and Luke Hoth because of the pricing. I may just regret it greatly when they released. Perhaps I'll put in the PO if someone still accepts it. Hot Toys is also into the Star Wars fray and for sure I will buy Ben Kenobi from them. The darkside is strong indeed!

Before I end, a few other collectibles I got this year are worth mentioning :

From Top :
  > Takara MP-19 Autobot Smokescreen
  > 3A Ashley Wood WWR Marquis de Plume
  > 3A Killzone Hazmat Trooper

Happy collecting in 2015!

No comments: