December 17, 2014

ThreeA Ashley Wood Evenfall Moonbase Omega Astronaut Strigoi "Johnson"

Yup, another skull head figure from 3A. I shall call him "Strigoi" from here onwards. Strigoi was actually human but was infected by some outer space bacteria and got mutated to this state. Sorry I wasn't following the story that much but that is about how Strigoi comes about.
The figure was released for pre-ordering at Bambalandstore on 21 Nov 2013 and a total of 3 versions were available then. A white suited Strigoi, an orange (torn tattered) suited and another orange (non-tattered). USD160 ea before 3AA discount. I thought I can get a non-tattered version and tear it if I wanted but I can't mend a torn suit to make it perfect again. No brainer there. Skipped the white one as I already had a White Gangsta Astronaut and also a white Lasstranaut... time to add some color.
Strigoi arrives 372 days, after pre-ordering, on 3 Dec 2014. It is a record longest ever figure to wait for receipt.

Strigoi is pretty impressive standing at about 16" tall with lanky arms, clawed fingers and lanky legs. I like how the pair of hands got enlarged due to the mutation but find the feet a little turn off. It would have been better if he feet were enlarged as well with pointed toes protruded out from the pierced-through boots. That will look awesome isn't it?
There are not a lot of posing opportunities for Strigoi, the articulations are kinda basic at best. If you haven't already know, the original plan for Strigoi was to have it as a statue ie non-articulated. It was first shown - as a totem statue sculpt - in 3A Re-venture in HK (IIRC). Eventually, 3A opted for articulation but stops at just providing the basics. It is good enough for me as I don't think Strigoi need to be pose in some Kungfu fighting stance. Head can be turned 360d but are unable to swivel up nor down. Elbows and knees can swing up down but unable to swivel left right.
No accessories, not even spare pegs, with this kit but the box contains a booklet of which I wasn't paying much attention to. A helmet would have been the icing on the cake. 3A gave a helmet to the black Strigoi they had for a Taiwan convention earlier this year and I was secretly hoping it was also included into the box for this as a token of apology for making us waited slightly more than a year for it to ship. Of course, it is not meant to be.

Stigoi provided an added variety to my 1/6 3A collection and the orange suit help to have it stood out among the crowd - literally as my display is already kinda packed. Personally, you don't need a lot of this and one is quite enough and I am happy to have it in the gang.
A shot of height comparison to a Finger crew. Lanky and tall seem the best description.

No comments: