November 6, 2014

ThreeA Ashley Wood Adventure Kartel Dead Gangsta Astronaut (White)

From ThreeA Wiki :
Dead Astronaut Gangsta is a classic Ashley Wood character who has found his way into the Adventure Kartel Universe. He was originally seen in early comics and paintings, but has also been seen in Miss and Mrs and featured on recent promotional printed material and the SD13 Dead Astronaut Gangsta t-shirt.

Now what's up with this Skeletor guy in a puffed up space suit? He is (was?) a hired mercenary doing the highest bidder's bidding with no question ask - until he gets it's prey or if it is the other way around. You wonder what good is money to a guy who are already dead (gansta astronaut). But, it is Adventure Kartel when no logic IS logic.

Story goes that the DAG was hired by Little Shadow to kill Tommy Mission as a form of "gift" for Tommy's birthday. Weird and senseless but again, it is Adventure Kartel isn't it?
Except from the comic strip :

Little Shadow said "OK! Look, my daddy gave me your number. I have a really cool job for you.", "It's kinda me and my sorta boyfriend's anniversary and I want a special gift for him. He is always going on about death and shit. Sooo I thought I would have you kill him. Great idea right? I really think I am growing as a person with this showing of affection."
DAG "You know once I start, I cannot be stopped and never fail at getting my man. You understand that right?"
Little Shadow "Um Yeah! That's why I am calling. I want Tommy dead"

Reading this stuff boggles my mind. Seems like Mr AW tried to be dark but all I get are childish juvenile material. Maybe I am shallow.

The gangsta goes up for pre-ordering at Bambalandstore on 7 Aug 2013 at US$160 a unit. A black version and a twin pack were also offered through the same channel then. With the twin pack, US$310, you get an additional accessory in a "Emergency Escape Thruster Unit". There is also a retail orange version called Dead Cosmonaut Golovorez. I thought a singular white is suffice for me.
The wait for this was long, was very very long and it took a massive 305 days for it to reached my doorstep on 13 Jun 2014.
The set does not come with batteries and it actually needed 3x AG1 button batteries for the blue LED to come to life. I went out to get them just for the effect and I think it is worth it.

One wonders why Ashley Wood design this guy to be so clumsily "fat" when he can opt for a more lean (and mean) look. The latter should work for more of the collectors. Because of the puffy suit, posing is really limited. The not-so-tight joints doesn't help one bit either.
The "fat suit" beneath the space garb was already removed before taking these shots. DAG looking better after that if you look at it long and hard enough.
Another peeve I got is the feet ball joint are easily dislodged. You are posing him and the shoes comes off quite readily.
The set also comes with 3 bendy tubes which are 1 too many for me. So I just used 2 tubes here for posing. It also has 4 pistols. 2 at the sides, 2 at the back. No spare hands nor spare pegs and you pretty much see everything in the box in these pictures.

I'm glad I chose and went for the white version as white shows the weathering better than the black one. And if Golovorez is all orange, that would make a want for me too. But when 3A decide to add "variety" to Golovorez with some white patch, it just spoiled the soup for me. Anyway, I only have 1 DAG and I'm happy with it.
Perhaps 3A should design another DAG which is in a form fitting suit and I'll sure to get. Meantime, if you wanted a Skeletor in a space suit, this is the one for you.

1 comment:

johnny6666 said...

Although I've only scratched the surface of your blog (yet!), your entries on the ThreeA AK series (my personal favourite) are fantastic. Terrific details about release dates and set variants. A great overview for the collector. Excellent work!