August 9, 2012

ThreeA Ashley Wood WWR Rothchild (Funeral Party Edition) Kitbash


So Darwin Rothchild is one of the, if not THE, most important character in WWR universe. He is the creator of all the bots you see running around in different color (for different faction). Such a heavy duty character must have sophisticated look. We are so wrong. The very first Darwin Rothchild figure is starkly the opposite. It is one of the least hassle looking, most plain, clean and simple design character that ever came out of 3A production line.
I purchased the 3AA version (ie Funeral Party Edition) which had a black shirt, black pants, black tie and a pair of big Ronald McDonald's looking boots. The singular accessory being his tiny wooden Bertie model he can hold in his left hand. Doesn't fit at all into my rugged motley WWR crew at all. I'm wondering what can I do with him to make him fit in.

Chanced upon an old Cyberhobby DML Hermann Goring Falschirmjager Panzerdivision Rolf Hoffmann set and bought it having Rothchild in mind exclusively. But I was worried about the Luftwaffe crest and the skull head on the collars if they are removable. Tried using a piece of scotch tape and it came off with little effort. So on it went to Rothchild. Initially I just wanted to slip the leather jacket and pants over Rothchild's tight fitting shirt and pants but the leather pants got stuck 3/4 way up. Hence I'll have to remove the pants. Jacket went on fine with the shirt on.
I wanted to use the kit's belt but again, it had a Luftwaffe eager embossed on it so I turned back to Rothchild's belt. Rothchild is now armed with a small pee-shooter Walther PP pistol that'll probably be just scratching off the paint of a bot. More of an ornament piece than any help as a self protection weapon.
As the damn feet pegs were a 1 piece thing stuck in his clown boots, I'd had to borrow another pair of boots from King Thumb. Also gave Rothchild a Russian tanker skullcap from my accessory box as well as the pair of spectacles. Finally rounded it up with a pair of headphones from Rolf Hoffmann set.

I imagined that Rothchild is attending a new weapon test session and he is all geared up for the occasion. He looks much better now, in my opinion, and he can fit in better. The leather suite from the set is of very good quality considering after all these years, it is still in 1 piece while others might already have cracked and disintegrated. Early 1/6 scale stuffs are always of better quality and lower cost.
Rothchild gave me an impression that there is little thoughts going into designing of this so important character. It can go either way, make him a sophisticated looking man or to create a contrast in giving us a simple dude. Ashley Wood / 3A chose the latter. But Ash did mentioned that we will see different version of Rothchild down the road in a sense of a middle age and then an old age version. Starting off with an unassuming look could carry miles later when the middle age version does come. Left it to the imagination.
I like how this "young version" of Rothchild look - as in the sculpt. But I find the poor selection of gear that he came with wanting. Was always on the lookout for alternate gear and I think I found the perfect set for him. Now just need to find a set of Hot Toys feet pegs so that I can return the boots to King Thumb ;)

2 comments:

soulstayer said...

wow man~ u r so creative to exchange the suit of rothchild to some leather type WW2 suit to match up with the bots environment..very cool indeed!~ hope to see more review especially on finger gang as i recall u have the full collection of it right? gud job mate and looking forward for ur next review..thanks

Yee said...

Thanks bro. Glad you like it :)