December 29, 2022

Hokkaido Toy Run - 19 to 26 Dec 2022


Covid 19 pandemic has effectively halted any oversea traveling be it for work or for holiday. The world is gradually opening from up mid of this year when entry requirement to a country has been the most stringent. It has relaxed over the months to a state where it is right for restarting our holidaying abroad.
Hokkaido was a planned trip for year end 2020. We had that realized now, 2 years later. Going to the land of the rising Sun will undoubtedly have a toy list in the hope to be able to get at least 1 or 2. It is not Tokyo nonetheless and the expectation is to be much lower. Worst come to worst, a couple of Gashapon, at the airport, as consolation is already a successful endeavor I feel.
Ultimately, I hope to find S.H.Figuarts Shinkocchou Seihou (SKC) Kamen Riders, any one from the Showa era, will be a big successful coup. (Picture here gives a very resounding successful operation eh?).

Details leading to each of the pictured items going into my pocket will be published scrolling down this posting.


The very first toy captured was this Gashapon in the gift shop at Noboribetsu Marine Park on 21-Dec-2022. I remember the machine asked for ¥400 and there was no hesitation. MSZ-006C1 (the grey one) came out. Not what I wanted but it is fine. I believe everybody wanted MSZ-006 including myself.
Gashapon box for this item was almost empty, maybe just another 2 to 3 more pieces inside. I decided to leave it to another day as it is still early days in the trip.
Next opportunity came 3 days later on Christmas Eve, 24-Dec-2022, at Shirogane Park Hills Hotel gashapon machines outside the hotel's gift shop, that looks like a North Korean shop, very dated. Here one spin cost the correct ¥500. Make 2 spins and got MSZ-006C1 again. Then MSZ-006A1. Still did not get what I wanted. There are also Capchara Balls at ¥400, which I got quite a few in Okinawa back in 2019. Therefore did not want add on the inventory.
Last opportunity came on the last dinner in Hokkaido on Christmas Day, 25-Dec-2022, at Norbesa Building in Sapporo. This building also housed the infamous Mandarake Sapporo branch. Later on more activity in this building.
In Norbesa, 3 final spins were registered at ¥500 each. This time got the 1 each from this series and finally the elusive MSZ-006 is gotten.
Total in pocket - 3x MSZ-006C1, 2x MSZ-006A1 and 1x MSZ-006. And total spent ¥2,900.

The second toy type is again a gashapon, ¥400 each. Got this on 21-Dec-2022 at Cable Car tower on Mt Hakodate for the Hakodate night view. However this is not dispense from a conventional gashapon box with turning the round switch. This is like a drink dispenser machine that instead of spinning, you activate it by pressing a button. It will still be a random dispense and I got the white one ie 1969 version. Instead of it containing in a plastic ball shell, this one came in a white cardboard box. Very interesting.
I have actually wanted the red bike ie 1971 model. But getting a "69" isn't too bad either. Kinda regret I did not make a couple more "presses". Then again, this is not the usual stuffs I collect. Perhaps a knee jerk situation where to get something more in case there is absolutely no chance with the remaining days. That worry turn out to be unfounded.


Right after Hakodate Night View, we were transferred to the most luxurious hotel for this whole trip. The Hakodate Uminokaze Hotel. There is a private onsen inside every room. A quick exploring also noticed a children game room at level 1 where there are 2 rows of gashapon machines lined up. Only 1 machine caught my eyes - the Back to the Future box. Another low stock machine, only about 6-7 balls left in the pot. One try, at ¥400 a spin, and got this 3rd movie installation version. Would love to get the original first movie version but I let it rest for now. 1 DeLoren is better than none.
Back home, I have added some details in running through the original plain silver paint with Tamiya black panel lining ascent paint to lift the details. Looking much better isn't it?


Now the heavy hitter. I'd say to be able to buy this figure in this trip is really a miracle. I know very well that only in Sapporo that there is any chance of any serious toy shop around. We have 2 nights in Sapporo and there is a real chance. Mandarake is just 1.3km from the Sapporo Park Hotel we are staying. Catch is the shop open 12pm and closes at 8pm. First night, 24-Dec-2022 Christmas Eve, after check in and dinner, it was already way over 8pm. The next day will be the last chance.
As it goes, Christmas day was a full day of itineraries and spending the most wasteful 2hrs at Mitsui Outlet Park. Seeing my chance slipping away fast. Last location Tanukikoji Shopping Street (狸小路) will be pushing 6pm and then dinner will surely kill all chances of me making a trip to Norbesa. I have all but given up.
Here is when miracle happen. Bus was moving towards Tanukukoji Shopping Street when the tour guide informs of us reaching in a couple minutes time. Somehow I switched on my Google Map to check location. I saw the bus is heading directly towards Norbesa ... 180m!... 100m! and it stopped right in front of it! Turn out Tanukukoji Shopping Street is just a street away and we are going to have dinner in a restaurant at the basement of Norbesa! WOW!
Needless to say, I gave Tanukikoji a miss and head straight to Mandarake at level 2. I know exactly what I wanted and had pictures saved in my phone for a quick reference for staff to point me to the right aisle where the goodies are. Absolutely no time to waste.
Was quickly disappointed that SKC Showa Riders are absolutely dry except for 1 box of Rider New No.2 with a heavy price tag of ¥20,900 (about SGD 209). Less tax will still be a hefty ¥19,000. There are not enough time to be harping on the dollars considering. I bought it nevertheless. There is only happiness after that. That is what the money has done and I think it is money well spent.
I will make a separate posting dedicated to this figure and also outline what I have come to notice about this particular piece. That is what happen when not enough research was done before buying and before buying from the shop it was in.
No regret still. This piece will be the representative purchase for this trip to Hokkaido, Japan.


I came to know about Norbesa because of a search for "Toy store near me" in google brings me to a shop call Jungle Sapporo. It is at Norbesa 3rd level. After getting Kamen Rider New No.2 at Mandarake, quickly goes up to 3rd floor to hopefully find a New No.1 or some other SKC Showa riders. And it is as dry as Madarake. No Ultraman or Ultraman Taro also. Kinda disappointing.
While on my way leaving Jungle, catch a glimpse of this Sofubi Baltan and flipped the price tag showing ¥440 (possibly ¥400 but added 10% tax). Just buy lah... a price of a gashapon not need a lot of consideration. So this purchase has not any significant. Baltan is always a sought after Ultraman Kaiju which will be nice addition to my collection.

I believe there are many more things I can get at Mandarake but alas the time is pushing and we don't have alot. about 30mins is all we have. Would love to spend at least half day going through the aisles and also the shops at 3rd floor. Perhaps next time to visit Tokyo's branch should be a bigger eye opener. Hope to have a chance to do that.


Remaining 2 items - Lego and Gunpla - are things available in Singapore as mass market items although they are getting rare recently.
 
Lego 40517 Creator Red Vespa is a set I wanted but is getting a little expensive in SG. Got these at LEGO shop in Mitsui Outlet Park on Christmas Day. Inclusive of tax each piece still falls under SGD 12/- (¥1,180 to be exact).

And the final toy purchase for this trip is inside Chitose Airport Departure duty free shop x2 HG Norbell Gundam versions on 26-Dec-2022 - HG Norbell Gundam 119 & HG Nobell Gundam (Berserker Mode) 129. Intention is probably to sell them as a set and hopefully to recoup some of the spending this Dec.

Considering Hokkaido as a more agriculture location, this toy haul isn't too bad at all.
Heard in the news that Hong Kong is further easing the entry requirement. Might be making a trip there if things work out. Till then...

No comments: