October 22, 2019

Gunpla HGUC (No.197) 1/144 YMS-15 Gyan


From Gundam Fandom Wikia :
Produced by the Zimmad Company, the YMS-15 Gyan was a rival of the Zeonic Company's MS-14 Gelgoog. The Gyan is a close-combat unit meant to fight alongside Zimmad's highly popular and powerful MS-09B Doms and MS-09R Rick Doms, which would provide long-range support. Besides having a powerful beam saber as its primary weapon, it also has a large, circular shield with 60 needle missiles and 25 hide bombs (space mines) which are used to lay traps for intended targets. The appearance of the Gyan, with its silver armor and Pickelhaube helmet design, has a strong resemblance to a medieval armored knight. This is further emphasized by M'Quve's fighting style, which is heavily based on fencing.


Picked up this Gyan at the second attempt at the hobby shop. Had it in my arms browsing around the shop for awhile and decided to put it back onto the rack - on my first attempt. Couple weeks later, went back to the same shop but not really going for the Gyan, but since there just to see if it is still there. No more. Oh well. On the 3rd visit, it was back in stock and now decided to pick it up for sure. Long story huh? shows what a wishy washy person I am ha!
Nevertheless, really glad I finally got it. It is a sexy sexy little mecha. Special mention that big ahgogo bell bottom 70s design really give this mech an overall retro feel. It has great poseability and the parts are solid ie non-flimsy.
Total height of the kit measured from flat of the feet to the tip of the helmet spike is at 14.5cm.


This is pretty much a straight build but not exactly 100% straight build. The back booster pack, behind of the shield, the grenades on the shield and the inside of the back skirt panel are all painted with Tamiya Gun Metal. Copper was used for dry brushing on the back booster pack.
The mono-eye actually came with a pink decal but I prefer red (more menacing I feel) so I painted gloss red over the pink decal before applying onto the head,
Finally, there are the mandatory panel linings which this design isn't too pronounce on.
So that's it!

Digressing from the Gyan, I actually picked back up Gunpla building couple of months back after buying and quick building a really priced down HG Hyper Gyanko just for fun. A sense of satisfaction was rediscovered after completing the model kit and making pose with it. Then I pulled out the venerable MG RX-78-2 Ver Ka which I had in my storage since 2007 (12 yrs!!) and which I tried to sell a few times without success. Build it and the ball start rolling.
I would like to go on based on my view on the various types of Gunpla builders/collectors but that will probably be another great wall of words. Probably leave it for a dedicated post at a later date.
The NZ-666 Kshatriya beckons and I'm all hyped up on putting my hands together on it. Till then...

No comments: