May 3, 2015

Takara Tomy Transformers Masterpiece MP-12 Autobots Lambor (Lamborghini Countach LP500S) - KO Version

I've long been intrigue and fascinated about these - high quality - Knock Off (KO) version of the original Takara Tomy Masterpieces. Was looking around for a MP-12 Lambor in eBay and noticed a chunk of auctions having a $40+ buy it now with free shipment. Too good to be true since MP-12 was released sometime back and price should be going up instead of coming down.. so drastically. A quick research got myself the answer.
Check this youtube video by RocketPunchArmy for a detail comparison of the authentic and the KO version of MP-12 Lambor. Let me know what you think after going over the video ;)


The Japanese call this Autobot Lambor while I prefer to call it Sideswipe. Sideswipe is how the English speaking world knew of this red Lamborghini and he is a very special Transformers character to me.
Back in Jan 2004 (yeah, 11 glorious years ago), I was doing my window shopping at Orchard Cineplex with my wife when a Binaltech BT-02 Sideswipe (Dodge Viper SRT-10) in a window display of Rapid Culture caught my eye and I fell in love with it immediately. Did not buy it at that point of time and it kept going round in my head. Went back to the shop the next day and got it. 11 years later today, it is still standing proudly inside my display cabinet.
OK, to cut my love story short and focus back to this KO version of MP-12 Sideswipe.

I bet by now you should have already watch the video link and reckon I needn't say more about this KO version. However, this blog entry will try to provide a second opinion to the otherwise excellent video review.
I haven't had an original to compare this KO version with but I do have an original Takara MP-12T Tigertrack. The overall finishing are not as finesse but it wasn't rough nor cheap looking. Perhaps it is with a conscious mind that this is a knock off and the sense become more critical.
The transformation is a breeze except when trying to latch the inverted "L" hook, from the stomach to the bottom of the bumper, it wouldn't go in smoothly. Turn out the plastic tab is fatter than the hole. Some filing need to be done in order for the fit. Small operation and perhaps the price to pay for paying less LOL!! I'm kinda expected this... a KO is a KO and it has to live up to it.
My set also have kinda lose knee but I suppose that can also happen to the originals. Can't really fault it this way.
The paint job are good, nothing out of place or over bleeding. Big Autobot logo on the chest is crisp and nicely printed.

One dynamic pose to show a KO can do what an original can even with weak knees :) MP-12 KO can stand proudly amongst the other original Masterpieces in my display cabinet and can hold itself pretty well.
I will definitely be interested to procure more KO Masterpieces given the excellent make and affordable price albeit with a little bit of additional work require to have a proper transformation.

No comments: