May 3, 2015

Planet X - Third Party Transformers PX-04 Summanus (not Dinobots Snarl)

Have officially started collecting Transformers Dinobots after unintentionally bought Fansproject's LER-02 Cubrar (not Slag). At that time, I'm still not knowing that a whole gang of 3rd Party manufacturers have already embarked on the Dinobots project. Start to search around the internet to check out the other guy's offerings and eventually shortlisted Fansproject and Planet X.
Planet X Summanus (aka Snarl) has the best looking dino mode Stegosaurus as well as in robot mode comparing all the Snarls that were released or shown by the other manufacturers - except for Fansproject which hasn't shown anything about this bot yet. Not even a prototype. If Fansproject's Snarl looks even better than Summanus, then Summanus can be posed in Dino mode for display. That is how it will be approached.
At this point, it will be a mixture of Fansproject and Planet X to form my original 5 members of Dinobots. But seem like Summanus will be the only Planet X member in my team... read on to find out why (if you are interested to know).
Surprisingly, nobody seems to bring in Planet X products for sale and I have to try my luck on Sunday China Square flea for one. And that one visit is my lucky day that 1 flea store is selling just 1 set and Summanus is the one for sale. Got it at a good price. It is brand new. However when I opened it up, noticed the instruction sheet and biocard are missing in the box. Wrote a message at Planet X's facebook wall requesting a replacement set and were totally ignored. Just so disappointed by their client service and I decided not to buy another Planet X product.


Apart from the less than desired client services, Summanus is a damn fine figure. The overall design of the bot makes it a very intimidating character with bulky chest, arms and a pair of heavy legs. Except for the half dino heads on each side of the calf, I'd more prefer they were "hidden" inside the calf as you can see there are quite an empty slot in it. That is another nit pick I want to point out ie the gap behind the calf. Other than these, no further complains.
Accessories wise, it came with 2 x swords and 2 x "bmfg" shotguns. Not a whole lot but are good enough as essentials.
The set came boxed in Robot mode, saved me the trouble to transform it. But I know for sure at some point of time, I'd have to transform it to dino mode at least for once. It looks too good to not have it at Stegosaurus mode at least once.

Articulations are pretty standard except for the head which can't really tilt up and down. Maybe just a teeny wee bit but I wouldn't call it an articulation point. So it is a swiveling left, right and around for the head. That limits the posing possibilities.
A mandatory test for a running pose shows possibility even when Summanus looks top heavy - big chest and backpack etc...

Light pipping for the eyes. Not very prominent but it works nonetheless.
Will I recommend Summanus? Hell YES! - despite the lousy client service. I'm also looking forward to Fansproject's offerings of Snarl. Already pre-ordered Fansproject Swoop which I feel looks way better than Planet X's.
I have mentioned earlier there are a whole gang of 3rd Party manufacturers embarking on the Dinobots project. A posting at TFW2005 by Scaleface does a pretty well roundup. Check it out if you are curious :)
Till the next Dinobots review... (PS, Cubrar is still in it's box).

No comments: