December 26, 2013

My 2013 TOP 5 Collectibles & Collecting Summary of the Year


YEAR 2013 TOP 5 COLLECTIBLES


 NUMBER 5
 
Product Name : EMGY Dropcloth V1.5
Brand & Series : 3A / World War Robots (WWR) series
Date bought : ordered 14 November 2012, received 29 May 2013
Dropcloth is a well loved robot by 3A collectors and it is a no brainer to have a "upgraded" version released. It received mixed review collectors finally got it in hand. Either they love it or they dislike it. I belong to the "Yay" division as I appreciate the various improvements from the Original version.
It overall look heavier and better articulations and has more accessories. The real pull for me is actually the size which is same as a normal 1/6 figure. It stood at about 30cm tall.
A dedicated entry is written on this item back in August. Click HERE to read more about it and for more pictures.
_________________________________________________________________________________

NUMBER 4

Product Name : Spade 3
Brand & Series :DAM Toys Gangster Kingdom Series
Date bought : 14 December 2013
DAM Toys has been the rising star of the 1/6 world this year. They have kick started their domination by recreating the movie "Black Hawk Down" series of Delta Forces and Rangers 1/6 figures at affordable prices. The gear are also of good quality, comparable to Soldier Story's. This year, they revealed their true ambition by releasing a new series, Gangster Kingdom, with stylized headsculpts to rope in the "other group" of 1/6 collectors. I'm a big fan of stylized headsculpted figures and this series just hit it spot onto my area of interest.
Spade 3 is the 3rd figure released in this series and it is suppose to be a stylized head design of Wayne Rooney (the Manchester United Football Club Striker). The first one being Jason Statham and the second, Vinnie Jones (ex Wimbledon FC player turned actor). All 3 were released in 2013 but I picked this one as the best among them till date.
________________________________________________________________________________

NUMBER 3

Product Name : Bossk
Brand & Series :Sideshow Toys, Star Wars Scums and Villainy
Date bought : 18 June 2013
I have always wanted to own a high quality, all 6 Bounty Hunters on the bridge of the Executor (Darth Vader's Flagship). And I'm doing it one item at a time at a very slow pace. I was consciously hunting for a Sideshow Bossk at that time and bought this off eBay.sg. Wasn't expecting to have the Limited Edition piece but I did after all. The snarling headsculpt is much coveted upon but strangely when I got it in hand, I'd actually prefer the normal sculpt.
Anyway, an additional headsculpt is always a welcome deal. It allows you to display your figure and shows a different mood.
Sideshow Bossk is very well made and it represents the character very well. And because of this, I had my Hasbro one sold :)
________________________________________________________________________________

NUMBER 2

Product Name : Marshall Armour / Yoroi Gensui (ヨロイ元帥)
Brand & Series :Medicom Toys, Kamen Rider V3 series
Date bought : 24 February 2013
I never dream that I'd be having this guy in my collection. I was already tracking it since many years back when it was first released. It was price tagged at about $1500 - $2000 and those are super crazy prices if you ask. Bought it at S$130! Still can't believe my luck. Even at retail price, it is easily S$250. Price aside, I really wanted this guy in my collection and I finally got it after years of tracking it albeit not actively. Also gotten a few other grail level Shocker bosses at this prices.
The Marshall is factory sealed and everything is in excellent condition when I open it.
More pictures can be found HERE as well as a simple quick review.
________________________________________________________________________________

NUMBER 1

Product Name : Optimus Prime
Brand & Series :Takara Tomy Masterpiece MP-01
Date bought : 03 October 2013
Another oldie. MP-01 was released almost 10 years ago in 2003/2004 period. I have been a long admirer but because I don't really collected Transformers (until this year) that I had to put off getting this. Furthermore, I wasn't also following the release news until I saw in hand pictures of this figure and the prices has gone up, up and up. A few other versions and re-releases has happened since and that probably pull the prices back downward when I am able to procure a used unit at eBay.SG at a sane price. The previous owner had kept it in a good condition and he had assured me he hasn't gone any transformation on this piece as he primarily display his TF's in robot mode. Exactly like how I like to display my TF.
Masterpiece MP-01 Optimus Prime are old school no matter how you look at it. The design, the material used. the size and the color. Prime weighs a ton and it stood at about 30cm tall. It met every criteria I want of a robot toy.
Added features of light up chest also help to push this figure a few steps ahead and it sits as the top collectibles I bought this whole year.
________________________________________________________________________________

After a year of hiatus from 2011, my Top 5 of the year is back. Criteria to be eligible for Top 5 running is solely based on items purchased exclusively in the same year.


YEAR 2013 COLLECTING SUMMARY ROUND UP
2013 is an interesting year as I have finally done something which I have always wanted to do and thanks to Keith, my friend, I finally realize this wish. He booked a flea market slot at China Square Central for May & June and offer half the table to me every Sunday for 2 months. And inside that 2 months, I managed to sell off 95% of my Hasbro Star Wars 12" figures. Although I lost about $600 in totality, the revenue inside that 2 months amounted to about S$2700. And did I say selling is really fun. Love every Sundays of that 2 months. Thanks Keith!
Another milestone I've achieved - and haven't achieved since I started seriously collecting toys since 1999 - is that there are not a cent spent in April on toys. Realize how much I managed to save in a month of no toys purchased. Should repeat this feat more often next year onwards.
This year's collecting is mixed. Not really focusing on any genre this year and 3A is on a downslide the whole of this year. By December, I've only managed 12 items as compares to 27 in 2012 and 37 in 2011. And 4 of that 12 items are purchased in December alone. They are just not too inspiring this year. Some of the 3A figures I've ordered (via Bambalandstore) later half of last year, has been delivered throughout this year. December has been a 3A month for me and together with announcement from Ashley Woods that some of the long awaited pieces will see it's light in 2014. It has drummed up my interest in 3A again and I am almost sure I will renew my membership for 2014. I look forward next year for his promises to come to fruition although we all know we should take info from him with a huge fistful of salt hey!
In August, I bought a Transformer Masterpiece MP-12T Tigertrack at CSC and it kick started a short Transformer mood. The many 3rd party company springing up also spice up this old franchise and make it exciting again. Transformers robots now looks good and with improved articulations albeit with steep prices. Always wanted a Gestalt in my collection and am researching for awhile which one to go for. After weeks of researching, I've settled with Mastermind Creation (MMC) Feral Con, which is actually the Predaking. I only has a single slot of display space for a combiners and this is the one. Also embarked on Fansproject's (FP) Headmasters. So will complete these 2 series and it will definitely run into 2014. With these 2 series firmed up, it is a matter of waiting for release or pre-order info. My TF heat cools down somewhat running into November.
I have also accumulated quite a good collection of Kre-O Transformers. These Lego-esque construction toys are a joy to build with. The minifigures Transformers (also known as KreOns) with their "blind" packs are also fun to have and to display in droves. Transformers toys now occupied 2 of my long shelving space.
2014 will be a good time to stop and review how to move on from here. My storage space is totally full. When a new toy comes in, I have to find display spare for it and also a storage space for the box. It is getting quite tiresome. I can't seems to be able to step over the line to seriously heck care of the resale value of the toy and to throw all the packaging box away. Will 2014 be the year where I can finally overcome this mental block of mine? It could be driven and accelerated by my current storage circumstances LOL!!
Happy collecting in 2014!


No comments: